Museology: Lina López
Georgian National Collection
● General concept and design of the exhibition areas of the museum and its route.
● Concept and design of each hall showcasing 6 different collections (partition, materials, colors, hall ambiances, museographic script and curatorship).
● Showcase and display devices design.
● Showcase setup and layout design.
● Ambient and layout lighting design.
● Signage and graphic design.
The Museum of History and Ethnography of Svaneti counts almost a century since its inauguration. In its rehabilitation all exhibition halls were redesigned and equipped following the latest museologic standards. Restoration laboratories and storages were also created. Now museum has 6 permanent exposition halls. Visitors have amazing opportunity to travel inside the museum and see exponents discovered during archeological excavations and numismatic discoveries.
The Museum has special halls of Christian treasure, where visitors have opportunity to see masterpieces from the IXth to the XVIIIth century of worldwide relevance such as: the Icon of the Forty Sebastian Martyrs, the Embroidered Byzantine Icon, the Venetian Cross and the earliest remaining sample of illustrated manuscript of the Adishi Gospels (897 AD), amongst others. The last exhibition hall is dedicated to Georgian ethnography.
The project of rehabilitation was supported by the Georgian Government and different international organisations and funds, such as: The National Commission of UNESCO in Georgia; EU Twinning Program; the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation-Staatliche Museen zu Berlin; Smithsonian institution; US Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Heritage Preservation and with the help of the Italian and Swiss embassies.